Lucky Church and Deanna will talk about making intercultural relationships work. And could they be a model for civil public discourse across lines of differences? Lucky married his high school sweetheart, Vieng, now together 25 years. Deanna and Eugenio will celebrate 34 years in July. What are the challenges and joys?
And, special guest! Deanna’s husband joined the show to keep Deanna honest!
- Even inside of an intercultural relationships you can have cultural misunderstandings–and how often misunderstandings (nose kisses, turkey legs, burnt rice…all big honors!).
- Knowing you are coming from different perspectives may get you to dig more deeply to understand each other.
- Things you can learn from intercultural relationships–You are not smarter if you don’t understand something your partner says or does–it’s just new to you.
- In any culture, you sometimes want someone to listen to you
- People speaking another language are not talking about you! Take time to learn the language.
- Love your mother-in-law too!